The manufacturers of the Bonavita BV1800 8-cup coffee machine claim that you’ll get perfect coffee every time, and that may very well be true, since it is certified by the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America). It doesn’t look all that high-tech, but it definitely delivers the goods. We’ll cover all the specs in great detail in this Bonavita BV1800 Review.
Specifications and Features
The Bonavita BV1800 has a 1400 watt heater, designed to release water once it reaches 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the perfect temperature for brewing. It also features a separate heating unit that keeps your coffee hot once it’s brewed. The machine shuts off automatically after two hours, so if you’re the kind of person who sometimes forgets to turn off the machine, and if you like to use leftovers to make iced coffee, you never have to worry about a “stewed” flavor.
Appearance-wise, the Bonavita BV1800 isn’t anything to write home about, although some users like the minimalist style, combining brushed metal with black plastic. Of course, when you get a great brew, appearance should be the least of your concerns.
Further features include:
- Instead of delivering the water in one steady drip, the Bonavita BV1800 utilizes a shower head design, so that the water is evenly dispersed and the grounds are properly saturated, and you get a full-flavored, quality brew each time.
- Clearly marked water tank, so you can always be assured of filling to the proper level.
- Wide opening, so you won’t spill water.
- It’s fast – you’ll have a full pot of coffee in just about seven minutes.
- It really does heat up to a minimum of 200 degrees, so your coffee is made hot, and stays hot.
- Small footprint, so if kitchen space is at a premium, you’ll appreciate the compactness of the machine.
- Not the cheapest coffee maker available
- No timer, so if you want to wake up to the smell of fresh coffee in the morning, you’ll have to get up and turn it on.
- Some reports of Bonavita BV1800 coffee makers developing leaks.
- Some users feel that the BV1800 actually delivers coffee that’s a little too hot, but we totally disagree, since it’s brewed at the ideal temperature. If you find that the brew burns your mouth, just put it down, have a little patience, and wait for a bit – there, problem solved.
Bonavita BV1800 Review – The Verdict
The Bonavita BV1800 8-cup coffee maker is without a doubt an exceptional machine, and it brews exceptional coffee. There’s no timer; but given the speed at which this unit brews, that really shouldn’t be an issue. Also, Bonavita’s customer service is second to none, and they sorted the issue out speedily.
It isn’t the cheapest coffee maker on the market, but it’s not the most expensive, either. In fact, the price of the BV1800 isn’t even close to that of a high-end machine, and yet the results are comparable. You could pay for a high-end coffee maker that has all the bells and whistles (including a timer), but if what you want is just a great coffee maker at a reasonable price, then you could do a lot worse than the BV1800.
If you want rich, flavorful coffee, and the lack of a timer isn’t a deal-breaker for you, we think you will be more than satisfied with the Bonavita BV1800.